Thursday, April 30, 2009

Can You Pay My Bills?

Yesterday I got into a conversation with a friend about why I am moving back to Pittsburgh. I told her I was moving against my will but in accordance with my financial situation. Our conversation went a little something like this:

Her: I know what you mean...money is king!
Me: Haha, I know!
Her: I mean, Jesus is King, but you know what I mean ;-)
Me: Yeah but Jesus ain't paying my rent, so yes, I know what you mean!
Her: But Jesus DOES pay your rent :-)

Hmmm? Really? Does Jesus pay my rent? If Jesus pays my rent, why in the hell do I have to work? Maybe the sentiment points to a belief that Jesus provides the job or even more generally, our provisions. Okay, then why do I have to send out resumes and cover letters, and why even bother with references? Or what do I make of Jesus' provisions given the fact that 12 percent of the state of California is out of work and thus having a hard time paying their rent?

As I enter my own season of job hunting so that I can make money and pay my own rent, I should just put "Jesus" as my reference. Yeah, that will get me the job, and the rent money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.