Saturday, February 14, 2009

Will You Pray for Me?


Yes, I am a seminary student who has not actually prayed in about two years. Blame it on an existential crisis. Blame it on my newly found perspective that I no longer know what I am praying to, or the fact that I don't really know if or how it really works. Admittedly, these are my issues, and I consider myself to be on a life long journey to figure them out.

An existential crisis is all well and good for me as an individual, but as soon as someone I care about asks me those 5 frightening words in a time of crisis: "Will you pray for me?" Things get a little complicated. I can have my own existential crisis and be totally fine with it. Really, I can. But what do I do when a friend confides in me, her deepest sorrows, in a moment of trust and vulnerability, and in the midst of her pain she reaches out for a caring person to engage with the Divine on her behalf.

I hate the idea of saying, "yeah, sure, I'll pray for you," because I know that is a lie. I am not going to "pray" in the traditional sense. I am not going to get on my knees, fold my hands, bow my head and talk to a God I don't really know right now. It feels awkward, phony, and useless. But my friend is important to me. And while I do not know what I think about God at the moment, I do believe in the mystic presence of something. I do believe in the supernatural, the divine, and the fact that we can and should engage with it. I just don't know how to.

On the other hand, I don't want to be the annoying person who puts their own stupid little spiritual woes before the sincere pain of a person in need. That is just plain annoying and lame.

I really wanted to do something for my friend to let that cosmic force, divine creator, or whatever he/she goes by these days that I was advocating for her, and sincerely hoping for peace and contentment in her life. But I needed it to be authentic for me.

So I decided to search for meaning, authenticity and a guide to prayer at the 99cents Store.

I purchased some candles that always intrigue me when I am there. They are prayer candles that I think are mostly used in Mexican Catholic traditions. I think they are used for home altars. Either way, I am attracted to them. They look very ecclesiastical to me, but yet so accessible. I purchased two plain white ones, and one that had a picture of Mary on it because her heart was exposed, and I really like hearts. I purchased the candle with the intention of lighting it for my friend as an act of acknowledgement of her struggle, her fears, her hope, and my hope for her. I took the candle home, took it out of the bag and noticed that there is sweet little prayer written on the back of the candle.

I lit the candle that night as a gesture to my friend, and it gave me peace of mind knowing that I could actually engage with the Divine, on behalf of a friend in need, in the midst of having not one fricken clue who or what the Divine actually is. I hope my agnostic-ness is not a hindrance to her well being. We'll have to save that for another post.

Now when a person asks, "will you pray for me" I can respond knowing for sure that I don't have to be burdened by own uncertainties or the pressures to conform to a prescribed prayer structure.

So...

Yes, I will pray for you.

1 comment:

jb said...

DG..please don't pray for me pray it's way to late for that. I read your comments on Yeti's blog about E-H and they suck!!! your right about that dating hell hole.... hands down, this is what a girlfriend of mine told me after her not so E-Happy experience.

And Compatible Couples WTF they want the gay dollars now. They figured out about how much more income they have lololo E-H are the blood suckers of onlive dating and I want to throw in Lava Life they are also suck pots of love.

None of these sites, are there to help us. We need to sift threw all the insanity all by ourselves. So I say get a helmet and bat cause your going to need it. One more thingEJack WTF and yeah right!!!

Please feel free to drop by my blog, you may like it. I'm going to soak up so more of your blog.

Take Good Care
JB